Here’s one hypothesis to begin the discussion. There are (at least) 5 different kinds of teams.
1. Structural. these are the teams that we can see on the org chart. Marketing, HR, R&D, etc. In larger orgs, these break down even further €“ hierarchically.
2. Cross functional €“ these are the teams that collect people from across the organization for various purposes. In my world, these are often product teams.
3. Project €“ these are people that have come together for a very specific and time bound purpose and deliverable.
4. Interests and Communities of Practice €“ these are groups that support one another emotionally, socially or professionally, and you’ll see many of them within an organization.
5. Swarms €“ these are the long lists of people, many of whom you’ve never met, who are on the cc line of that last reply-all-urgent email trail you were on. You feel this pain like I do, right?